Thursday, August 14, 2008

Twilight the Movie

I get a little obsessive when I find a new distraction, which, in this case, means that I've spent time on Stephenie Meyer's website and have looked up whatever information I could easily find on the movie version of Twilight that's coming out later this year. (Seriously, it's not coming out until December, but with all the previews, teasers, and sneak peeks they've got out there, I'm fairly certain I've seen 90% of the movie, including all the key scenes.)

I think the movie will probably be OK, maybe even pretty good. A lot of the commentary out there among fans (which I've only heard about second hand, really) is that Edward isn't pretty enough. Ha! My concerns, i.e. what I'd like to see in the movie that I doubt they'll have captured, based on the previews, are as follows:

1) Humor. The book is funny, the banter is occasionally witty, or supposed to be. The subject is dark, but the novel feels light. I wonder whether the movie will have that tone, or if it'll be more daytime drama than Veronica Mars (or whatever it is the kids are watching these days).

2) Special effects. Maybe I'm just jaded because they've released a behind-the-scenes look at the peak action scene of the movie - and the special effects seem a little mundane. When I picture the story in movie format, I think post-Matrix style effects, with a touch of The Ring, would be well suited to capturing he impossibly quick movements of the vampires.

3) When it comes down to it, I really would love to see the whole series done in Anime. I think it'll be difficult to capture the alien-ness of the vampires in film - they do a bang-up job trying to imitate humans, but when it comes down to it, they aren't human, and there are interesting, subtle things that give them away. I doubt the movie is going to make the vampires look different enough, or in the "right" ways. But we'll see.

No comments: