Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer

The final piece of the Bella/Edward story stirred up quite a bit of controversy among fans, from what I hear. I'm more and more convinced that Teens and The Internet are a dangerous, nasty mix - of course, from my limited experience with online fan sites a few years ago, the most irrational, illiterate, volatile fans are probably 40 year old professionals.

ANYWAY, I am so torn about Stephenie Meyer's books, especially this one. On the one hand, I'm totally addicted. On the other, it's not like there's a ton of literary merit to the books. My biggest problems are with the clunky exposition, inconsistent characterization, and lack of dramatic impact (the build to the climax is a bit weak - it drags in parts and jumps in others).

My conclusion is that her writing is candy. It's enjoyable, easy to eat too much of it too quickly, and you don't have to work hard to get through it. She is always so explicit in her writing, you never have to wonder what's going on, because she tells you EXACTLY. There is very little left to the imagination (or for the logical workings of the mind to figure out). I think the word 'anvilicious' applies. You could pick up the book for the first time, start reading in the middle, and not miss much of the emotional or dramatic context, since the author always brings it up for you.

The biggest problem with this book, interestingly, is that despite several conflicts, problems, despair! horror! agony! etc. etc., it's essentially one big happy ending - to the point where satisfying dramatic resolution is sacrificed. I'm understating things when I say that a third of the book is spent setting up and anticipating a huge, mortal battle - that never happens. Big relief for the characters, kind of a let down for the readers. Not that I actually minded it. This whole series is one big daydream/fantasy written down on paper, and so the fantasy conclusion works. For me, anyway.

No comments: