Monday, January 19, 2009

Hale, Pratchett, and Westerfeld

Princess Academy, Shannon Hale, is a cute story with another medaeval mountain maiden in a magic world, but had a few problems and wasn't as enjoyable as Book of a Thousand Days. ETA: I also read Goose Girl, which I like almost as well as Book of a Thousand Days. I love fairy tales, and this is a creative, sweet retelling.

Eric, Terry Pratchett, enjoyable as always and I enjoyed the satiric take on some literary classics, like Faust and the Oddesey, but it was a bit clunky compared to some of his other work.

The Last Days, but Scott Westerfeld, is actually a sequel to a book I haven't read but worked really well without the prior story. Basically, [SPOILER!] vampires are taking over the world but it's all for a good cause. Lacked the surprising depth I appreciate in some YA lit. ETA: Read Peeps, the book that Last Days follows. It's OK, an interesting take on vampirism. And parasites. Not for those with a phobia of germs.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I read Princess Academy too. It was pretty good. My husband Jake recommended a series to me--it's not finished yet so sorry if you don't like to get into those! But they're pretty good. They're in the adult fiction section. The first book is called Green Rider. They're by Kristen Britain. (spellings might be off but I can't find the copy we have). Fantasy with a little Girrl Power!