Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Harris

I'd heard about this because of the similarities to Twilight, and there's a (nasty) new HBO show based on the series. It's a murder mystery series where the main character is a young woman who can read minds, falls in love with a vampire, and learns how to use her ability (or disability, as she calls it, since everyone in her rural northern Louisiana town thinks she's crazy because of it) to solve crimes - for humans and vampires. There's even a love triangle with a werewolf - I think it was actually written before Twilight. It's clever and entertaining enough, but the language and content is quite...adult. I'm not sure whether or not I'll read the sequels (there are 8 or 9 books with these characters).

Kenyon read it, too, since a coworker loaned him a copy just a few days after I put it on hold at the library. He HATED it. Part of that was retaliatory - his coworker hated Twilight, which Kenyon liked, and offered this book as an alternative. He thought it was boring and the characters were shallow and uninteresting, I think.

2 comments:

Heather Winegardner said...

What I want to know is when on EARTH you find the time to read so many books. Yikes, girl!

Ang said...

Heh - I posted a couple months' worth of books when I started this, and a ton of them have been Young Adult fiction or light pop lit. You'll notice I haven't mentioned any great works of classic literature - I actually attempted some Faulkner and Steinbeck, but didn't get more than a couple chapters done before they were due at the library!

Also, I neglect my children.